With all the roses blooming in my home garden, I’ve always wanted a nice flower vase to show them off. Unfortunately, commercial stuff has either been too delicate or too bland. I just haven’t been able to find the one I wanted.
In the meantime, this has mean that all my flowers get shown off in glass bottles. I had an idea for dressing up the said bottles, but somehow I hadn’t gotten around to getting my supplies.
- A glass bottle – I used old ketchup bottles
- colored thread – you can opt for paper, cotton or plastic wire. I used a chinese brand macrame plastic wire.
- Glue – use any multi-purpose glue. I used Fevicol‘s All-fix.
- Any decorative sequins that you may wish to use.
How to do it:
- Gather all your supplies
- Apply the glue in a ring at the top of the bottle where you will start sticking the thread. Thereafter, draw lines along the length of the bottle. For a small bottle i drew 5 lines which covered most of the bottle
- Stick the start of the thread and hold it in place with your thumb and proceed to wind the thread around the bottle. This may be a bit messy, but is the most effective way. You need to hold the starting point only for a few seconds as the glue will act fast.
- Keep winding around till you reach the end of the thread. Attach another string in the same manner as the start point and continue winding till you reach the end.
- The lines of glue will hold the thread in place while you are winding. This makes the entire work less messy than if the whole bottle was covered in glue.
- Cover the joins with sequins if you wish (I did!)
Viola! You have a brand new flower vase! 🙂