When one of my Ravelry groups suggested a sock-along, I jumped at the opportunity. I already had made 3 pairs and I was sure its just a matter of sitting for a few hours n getting it done! Delusional, anyone?
Which essentially was stupid. I already had 3 sweaters (out of which 2 were for me… Small. Not), and a shawl. Not to mention I knew I would be busy with the in-laws here and stuff on the personal front. And did I choose a free pattern?! No, I went ahead and signed up for something that said “complete within 2 months or pay up”. So, ya, sock me!!
Anyway, today happens to be the deadline for the socks, and I’ve just managed to finish it.
The yarn is an entire different matter to crib about. It looked good on skein, and that’s the only reason I can come up with for buying it!! The color changes are normally small i.e 12″ in most Indian acrylic yarns. However, this took short to a whole new level: approximately 6″. The design is mostly invisible. 🙁
Anyway, here’s my pic!
PS: I don’t think I’ve ever written a “rant” blog ever before! sigh
This is the 2nd pair of sock I’ve made, the design again from the HiyaHiya Designs. While the name of the lace was funny enough, I really liked it, and would have loved to show it off. However, I had a stash of yarn left over from my Regal sweater, and I decided that it was better put to use as a sock yarn! 🙂
The KAL (Knit-A-long) was for the duration of Dec 2013 – Jan 2014. However, this was the project that I decided to cast-on on the 1st of Jan this year!
So here’s my effort. The only change I made with the pattern was that it was meant to be a mid-calf design, while I made only ankle socks.
I’d recently joined a new group on Ravelry, one meant for KALs and such, and led by some lovely ladies who are an inspiration to me.
So this month they came up with quick knits for the kitchen as this month’s KAL. I didn’t want to make coasters, and I don’t really have the time (or patience) for making placemats for my dining table. So I came up with a pot-holder. I wanted it to be stylish so I could show-off to any visiting relatives or friends, and I also wanted to try something new. Of course, the main purpose was to make something useful for the kitchen as well!! 😀
I’ve done double-knit before. But these were only coasters, and took about a couple of hours each, as the instruction wasn’t very complicated. This time I wanted to challenge myself. A side benefit was that I could use up some of the leftovers from other projects! 😉
So here goes my project. It’s called Manique Bambous (Doubleknit). I’m not sure what that name means, but its a lovely design!
I’d actually started this KAL by called it Blue Crush. There were only 2 problems with that name though:
1) I was fed up with the number of “Blue”s on my project page
2) the design was called Crushed, not Crush.
That prompted the name change to the current one.
This has been my biggest challenge. Not just because of lace, but because of lace on a triangle shawl. The very concept boggled the mind until recently. But now I can proudly say that I can definitely manage (somewhat) a good lace project! 🙂 Also I managed to master (somewhat) making nupps during the final phase of this project. So extra kudos to me!!