Now that I’m done with granny squares in crochet, I thought it was time to learn something new. Of course, I cannot do this the easy way and look for a nice stitch and learn properly. I HAVE to go for something more difficult. So I decided to make a collage of motifs. I’m not sure how the whole thing will look, but I’ll try anyway.
In spite of the difficult task I set myself, I did manage to land on my feet anyway. The motif I found on YouTube was posted by Crochet Geek, and featured how to make a circle into a square. The problem was that I’d never crocheted a circle, forget making it into a square. But I managed. And I’m pretty happy with the result!
Couple of things that I learnt along the way are:
sc and hdc – I already knew dc but the others had to be viewed a couple of times before I got the hang of it.
Crocheting through a stitch – I had to rip up a couple of times before I got the hang of this one
4-ply could mean anything – When the presenter spoke about 4-ply I assumed she meant fingering weight. But when I got done, it seemed much lighter than the motif shown on-screen. Then I figured that though she said 4-ply she meant anything up to DK :(! While what I used was almost light-fingering. So lesson learnt was to watch the videos VERY carefully, esp when they show the yarns! 🙂
When I got up this morning, I promised myself that I’d get cracking on the sweaters that are pending work. However, once I finished breakfast, I suddenly decided i wanted a new apron. I’m not really sure why I want one though, i hardly use it!
But one thing was sure: the apron I already own has strings to be tied at the back.. and I’ve been enamoured by the professional chef aprons that tie right around to the waist in front. It’s just so cool! So that’s what I decided to make.
Another reason is that I desperately need to use up my fabric stash if I intend to buy more fabric.. So my project was for a good cause: to create space for more shopping! 😉
While I havent reached the level where I’m comfortable showing off my haphazard sewing /cutting skills in photographic detail, here’s the final product. Though there are a couple of things I’m proud of:
The neat way I managed to make the borders without having fabric lift up after the stitch line
My stitched apron strings. This is my second attempt, and I’ve done a great job (even I say so myself)
What I’m not happy about is the fact that the armsyce is different on both sides. I’m not really sure how I managed that, though I do remember thinking that one side seemed easier to stitch than the other…
For a couple of weeks now on Ravelry’s South Asian Crafters, the 5th Aniv celebrations have been underway. It has been an interesting time. The questions are asked by the moderator, Swapna, and once everyone answers (within the time limit), a random number is drawn. Similarly for the sponsors, there are random numbers are drawn for that day’s prize. Eventually, there will be a grand prize, with a much larger prize to be won at the very end.
Most of these questions have made me think about my knit knitting. Though this is a very recent passion, it has overtaken all others. I used to cross-stitch before, but i cannot gather the enthusiasm for cross-stitch, the way it is for knitting.
This weekend’s question was: what is your favourite place to knit . It turns out, it’s the one place that was the Hubby’s favourite in the house. The long sofa in the living room. When I was working with cloth, it was easier to sit in the single seats with high armrests. But with knitting i needed a lot more elbow room. And I never did realize: I tend to occupy the whole damn place!
So here’s my favourite daily nook. The one place where you need permission to sit in my house!
Actually I have done other stuff with the machine. It’s only that most of them comprised of repairs of clothing and bed sheets, and new pair of pillow covers. So I finally mustered up some courage to get sewing projects.
I have some self-knit mobile pouches. But, like handbags and shoes, a girl just can’t have too many. So with the left over fabric from the pillow covers, came this lovely mobile pouch. 🙂
The pouch came out fast enough. The problem lay with the handle and the deco. For deco, i zeroed on some leftover flower sequins which could be pastes on. The handle was tougher. I decided to do a ragged-y braid with the same fabric. It’s not the neatest look, but I kinda liked it that way.
I’ve been struggling for some thing as to what to make for the current placemat/doilies/coasters C/KAL going on in my Ravelry group.
Finally decided to challenge myself and make a knit lacedoily. Easier said than done.
I couldn’t work the delicate stitches on DPNs or Circular needles (which I was using for the first time ever!). So decided to make a ‘trial’ mat using spare DK variegated yarn. after 10 mins i realized this was going nowhere. I just couldn’t understand the design!!!
So my solution was to continue doing my last stitch over and over again till I got a coaster. And it worked!!! I just skipped the lace part, and kept repeating the center “base” part of the design. 😀
So I’ve finally got a quick and easy coaster. that takes approx 2hrs to churn out!! 🙂