Posted on 4 Comments

My very First QUILT!

Its been some time since I blogged. And that’s definitely because I didn’t have anything to blog about… but because I didn’t have time with the amount of crafting that’s gotten done!!! πŸ˜€

I’ll start with the latest creation (as in completed last night). Its a QUILT! Yes, I can now proudly tom-tom the fact that I have made my own quilt. And NO, I refuse to make another… ok maybe if u twist my arm some more.. πŸ˜‰

My very first one!
My very first one!

It started off on Watsapp with a couple of crafting friends, and so we thought, why not?! Google searches were started up, designs dug out.. and in my case, all with the additional word of “easy”. πŸ˜› But we started off.

I though the fat quarters (18″ x 21″) seemed nice for a starter piece. Big pieces, not much of cutting. I still had to use my brand new rotary cutter and self-healing cutting mat. I hauled out my stash, and got to work.

The Fat Quarters
The Fat Quarters

First I pulled out all the fabric and got measuring. Having done that, I figured the best 4 for the blocks, the plain/neutral for the back, and got cutting.

Once I got all my pieces set, suddenly I decided it was all too boring. Huh?! you say? Yes, well, that’s what happened, and out came the searches for other “easy” patterns. Finally zeroed onto something that seemed easy, and called for “charms”. These turned out to be 5″ x 5″ pieces. Back to the cutting board.

... and the Charms
… and the Charms

It took me a couple of days and serious boredom, but I finally got the pieces cut. Next step was to join pieces into motifs, and then join the motifs to make the sheet. After about the 30th block, I realized that this didn’t seem to look nice at all! Work stalled for a week.

Finally, I got all my pieces together (large and small) and decided to just completed… however it was. Once that was decided, things moved a lot faster. The sewing of the top and back took a single day. A shopping trip for batting later, the combining of the various parts took a couple of days, and a lot of sit-ups. I now have a shapely backside from the sit-ups and a new set of biceps hauling the whole thing through my itty-bitty sewing machine. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

The interest panel (?) on the sine
The interest panel (?) on the side
do they look neat?
do they look neat?

 

The whole thing, well, it now sizes to approximately 6ft x 7ft. πŸ˜€ So

Now the wait for the cool weather starts!

Posted on 5 Comments

Case for Kobo Touch

Hubby gifted a Kobo Touch recently. An e-Reader has been on my wishlist for so long, and I was thrilled to get it in my hands! However, with Kobo, you don’t get any covers attached to it. This meant I had to make one.

Now the decision was actually whether I should sew one or knit one. Well, my decision was both! But sewing gets done faster, so the first cover was to be the stitched one.

Being a novice in the sewing department, I turned to the internet for inspiration. There were a few tutorials but:

  • I didn’t understand the instructions as they were geared for someone who knew what they were doing. I didn’t.
  • The instructions were geared towards cases for Kindle or Sony. I wanted spoon-feeding! πŸ˜‰

Finally I found a tutorial here. This was truly a life-saver! And I got down to the serious business to making a quilted cover for my Kobo. However, I did not make the quilt with pieces from various fabrics. Instead It was a single sheet with design that I quilted using batting and lining material. I finally got to use it after a major shopping trip at RC Puram almost a year back!

Hmm. Batting. Not to mention that fancy lines ruler. I had no clue such things existed before this project. But then, I again wanted this cover now. So I managed to find some sponge sheet left over from some project. I used this in place of batting. Seemed to work well, but I really need to get to the market for some serious quilting material shopping if I have to get this right! I remember seeing something similar to that ruler at some store a long time back. Need to get back over there and check it out again. Ahh, my shopping list takes shape again! πŸ˜€

With the help of the tutorial, I managed to make my case. And here it is!Β  πŸ™‚

The finishing did leave a lot to desire. But then again, this is my very first sewing project (mobile pouches and repairs don’t count). So, I forgive myself. πŸ™‚

the materials
the materials
The front - after quilting
The front – after quilting
the back - no awards for neatness though!
the back – no awards for neatness though!
And the final product! :)
And the final product! πŸ™‚