Posted on Leave a comment

Red Wine mobile Pouch

 

I wanted to make a new cell-phone pouch that i could take to the Ravelry Bangalore Brigade meet on Sunday 26th Aug. Unfortunately I wasn’t too happy with the way it turned out. The design was fine, but I didn’t like the way I stitched it up with a flap. So I left it at home for a re-work. (sigh)

So i thought about it yesterday, and ripped up the side stitches. and re-worked it to remove the flap, and instead made it a simple case. Now came the button, which I so wanted. So i put in onto the wrong side, so it goes through the hole without having to wrap around the top.

For the handle, I decided I wanted an I-cord. So that’s what I learnt and made. It obviously looks like first attempt, but that’s ok for me! πŸ™‚

 

 

Posted on 1 Comment

A Basic Coaster Set

This one started out as an experiment with circular knitting, with a side benefit of going up for a C/KAL in my Ravelry group. However, I ended up using the basic idea for another set of coasters and these went onto the back-burner.

This last weekend i fell ill. However, since I don’t believe in sitting back and doing nothing, out came this WIP (work-in-progress). And became an FO (finished object, wot did u think?)

Posted on Leave a comment

The One-Day Coasters

I’ve been struggling for some thing as to what to make for the current placemat/doilies/coasters C/KAL going on in my Ravelry group.
Finally decided to challenge myself and make a knit lace doily. Easier said than done.

I couldn’t work the delicate stitches on DPNs or Circular needles (which I was using for the first time ever!). So decided to make a ‘trial’ mat using spare DK variegated yarn. after 10 mins i realized this was going nowhere. I just couldn’t understand the design!!!

So my solution was to continue doing my last stitch over and over again till I got a coaster. And it worked!!! I just skipped the lace part, and kept repeating the center “base” part of the design. πŸ˜€

So I’ve finally got a quick and easy coaster. that takes approx 2hrs to churn out!! πŸ™‚

Project Complete! πŸ˜€

Posted on Leave a comment

The Yarn Bowl

This was made on a lazy afternoon, when I was fed up with knitting my shawl.. Well, not fed up per se, just majorly tired of doing it! πŸ˜‰

So out came the superglue: Fevicol MR, stock of which had been left over by my carpenters. Followed by peices of knitting yarn left over from various projects.

The problem with this project is that I should have used embriodery thread instead of wool. And glue, instead of Fevicol. Fevicol is too stong a glue for this project. And the wool fibers kept getting stuck to my hand mnore than the bowl, which made a simple exercise a real pain.

So what I actually used was:

  • 3 colors of woolen yarn of varying lengths
  • a salad bowl for shape
  • clingwrap for the bowl, to prevent glue from getting on the bowl.
  • 1/2 cup of glue/fevicol
  • a lot of patience πŸ˜€

After covering the blow with clingwrap, I tried dunking short length of the yarn into the glue and then wrapping them in the bowl. This was a bad idea as the fibers were sticking more to my hand and less to the bowl. So strategy changed, and the glue was applied to the bowl, and i delicately laid out the wool over it.

My delicasy lost patience after half the bowl was completed. And the bowl was DONE! πŸ˜‰

I kept it in the sun for a day to set properly. The next day i removed the salad bowl and left the yarn bowl to dry for 1 more day. Here i expected the clingwrap to come off. But since it stayed on, I just trimmed the edges to give the bowl a neater look.

It is now my ‘water-proof’ trinkets bowl! πŸ˜€

Posted on 4 Comments

Lace Shawl

This was made as a part of my Ravelry C/KAL. And I dont think I’d ever have completed it so fast, if it wasnt for the deadline! πŸ˜€

There a few things about knitting that I also learnt with this shawl:

  • Lace knitting: The very basics, but definitely a start.
  • Needle Size: Looking beyond needle sizes US 2 & 3. Used size 8. A bit unwieldy initially, but got used to it soon enough!
  • Blocking: Never did this before, and didnt have the “blocking boards” everyone uses. But managed to come up with some decent in-house substitues! πŸ™‚

The design itself is a very simple one. It is called Old Shale and is and old Shetland lace design. It is a 4-row pattern, with only 1 row of actual work. Simple, with such gorgeous results!

So here are the pics of my first every lace shawl:

Peach Yarn from Vardhman
The finished product
The design