Posted on Leave a comment

The Search for a Perfect Design – Kobo Cover

I have made 3 covers as yet. One was knit and the other 2 were sewing projects. While the knit project as well as the first sewing project were carry-covers, the 3rd cover was basically a stand to put my reader so that I’m not constantly holding the reader directly.ย But I wanted something that covered both these functions nicely.

So here’s the latest attempt:

 

The Outside
The Outside
The Inside
The Inside
How it looks when ready!
How it looks when ready!
After fitting the Reader in
After fitting the Reader in

 

I think I’m too enamoured with the written word fabric. I really need to stop putting it front and center… I think that’s what spoiling the effect! ๐Ÿ™

But overall, the dimensions are a bit short. But hey! This is a learning attempt!

 

 

Posted on Leave a comment

Yet Another Attempt!

My goal of having a nicely done cover for my Kobo Touch still seems far away!

This is my latest attempt at making a cover. Though I must say, the cover is definitely better than my last one, not to mention the amount of folds of fabric have made it pretty sturdy! ๐Ÿ™‚

While I may have not reached an expert level, I did find that my sewing skills have improved, as has my planning-for-sewing skills. Early on, I used to wing it in terms of size approximations and kind of stitch required. Now I found that measuring and noting down everything has given me a better perspective!

The inside face
The inside face
how the fold looks
how the fold looks
The reverse: my not-so-nice attempt at free-motion quilting
The reverse: my not-so-nice attempt at free-motion quilting

 

The folded up cover: not sure how to jazz up the front...
The folded up cover: not sure how to jazz up the front…

 

 

 

Posted on 5 Comments

Case for Kobo Touch

Hubby gifted a Kobo Touch recently. An e-Reader has been on my wishlist for so long, and I was thrilled to get it in my hands! However, with Kobo, you don’t get any covers attached to it. This meant I had to make one.

Now the decision was actually whether I should sew one or knit one. Well, my decision was both! But sewing gets done faster, so the first cover was to be the stitched one.

Being a novice in the sewing department, I turned to the internet for inspiration. There were a few tutorials but:

  • I didn’t understand the instructions as they were geared for someone who knew what they were doing. I didn’t.
  • The instructions were geared towards cases for Kindle or Sony. I wanted spoon-feeding! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Finally I found a tutorial here. This was truly a life-saver! And I got down to the serious business to making a quilted cover for my Kobo. However, I did not make the quilt with pieces from various fabrics. Instead It was a single sheet with design that I quilted using batting and lining material. I finally got to use it after a major shopping trip at RC Puram almost a year back!

Hmm. Batting. Not to mention that fancy lines ruler. I had no clue such things existed before this project. But then, I again wanted this cover now. So I managed to find some sponge sheet left over from some project. I used this in place of batting. Seemed to work well, but I really need to get to the market for some serious quilting material shopping if I have to get this right! I remember seeing something similar to that ruler at some store a long time back. Need to get back over there and check it out again. Ahh, my shopping list takes shape again! ๐Ÿ˜€

With the help of the tutorial, I managed to make my case. And here it is!ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

The finishing did leave a lot to desire. But then again, this is my very first sewing project (mobile pouches and repairs don’t count). So, I forgive myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

the materials
the materials
The front - after quilting
The front – after quilting
the back - no awards for neatness though!
the back – no awards for neatness though!
And the final product! :)
And the final product! ๐Ÿ™‚