One of my crafty resolutions this year has been to learn crochet. But somehow, I have been delaying this, on grounds that I’m just too busy with knitting.
In one of my Ravelry groups, a new C/KAL has been started: Motifated. This one looks are any item (garments, accessory,home needs) that can be made with motifs. Of course, there are a lot of motifs and large stuff made with knitting. But then again, crochet is on my to-do list.
Then came in the question of what to make. The motifs were very pretty, and plain gibberish to my knitting mind. For the life of me I couldn’t keep them straight in my mind. Then came in the Quadrant Blanket pattern. It was being made by another crafter. Having seen it, I figured there was only 1 stitch being repeated over and over and over again. the remaining are basic and design elements. But the stitch stayed the same. I’ve found my dream starter crochet project! 😀
I started this project as part of Project-a-Month KAL’s monthly donation project. That basically means that a designer would share one of their paid patterns with the group members. Once signed-up, one has to complete the given project, or risk being de-barred.
This model actually works 2 ways: a particular project by the designer gets noticed, and secondly, for the group, you score a free design! And the incentive to complete it right away too. 🙂 Further, one can get exposed to various knitting techniques. This time around, I learnt Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off, that was part of Knitty‘s 2009 Fall issue. I had made the Aviatrix Clutch in a similar KAL with the same group. Good fun for sure!
So this months project was Hundres of Hats. The hat designs are simple, with a whole lot of options to chose from. The permutaitons and combinations of each of the choices, i guess, prompted the name! This was definitely a very quick knit. So here’s my project:
However, this wasn’t without mistakes. 🙁 I was engrossed in a movie and lost track of the increases. Or rather, I was supposed to make it 18sts between markers, and I made it 22! Since i HATE ripping, I simply reduced the stitches while on the “straight” section. That has
given it a slightly slouchy look, but actually works to keeping my ear warn even when my hair’s done in a bun! 😀